Thursday 28 October 2010

Vintage Barkcloth



VINTAGE TEXTURED BARKCLOTH by Margaret E Meier (published by Schiffer)

Well this was a great find! A great reference book with gorgeous colour photos. I found it on Amazon when I was having a browse! Very interesting for anyone who loves barkcloth and the associated prints from the 40s, 50s and 60s! She writes about her own relationship with it and how she became interested in the fabric and how she started to collect these fantastic prints. Also you will find information on how to clean barkcloth and get stains out.

Ms Meier also mentions that any print with a black background is rare here are a couple of different designs...






The book is separated into different sections depending on the print for instance tropical or geometric prints.......






Now what really took my attention was that she mentioned that any prints showing palm trees, huts and flamingos are very very rare and worth quite a bit of money.....





WELL.... hmm that is interesting as I have a lovely pair of curtains with just those... huts and palm trees...




but no flamingos even without those lovely pink birds every time I look at the print I imagine myself in Hawaii in 1950 and to think that I was going to sell them .... oh my dear!!



If you want to see more pictures of lovely vintage barkcloth with tons and tons of prints click here!













1 comment: