Wednesday 27 October 2010

Embroidery Quilt

So a long time ago I was in a charity shop and I thought.... hmmm I do like these old 30s and 40s embroidered table clothes and mats. What can I do with them ...well.. quilts quilts quilts! I thought I would patchwork some of the table clothes that were stained as well as use the full ones for the more intricate and beautiful ones! Although I have to say that I do find all of them beautiful. All the work that has gone into them it is a shame that they had been lost as no one seems to use table clothes anymore! Sometimes I think that they should do an exhibition like they did of quilts at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Think that they should do one of utilitarian sewing work. So that was years ago (although now with the upsurge in crafting and make do and mend) it seems that these are getting harder to find but now I have such a huge stash I just can't bring myself to say goodbye to them.

I am going full steam ahead to use my new sewing machine and make some using technology (but I'll come back to that)..... as I have always hand sewn mine. I have two hand sewing quilt projects on the go that I MUST finish .... this is the embroidered one and I'll let you see the butterfly one in a mo!.




this is the first part of the process as you can see you have to choose how you are going to construct your quilt (see below ...my first one was just squares and the corners were just 1/4 size of the corner squares)




I'm making good headway, I've nearly finished the top and have a blanket for the batting....



More to come as the quilt takes shape.....

No comments:

Post a Comment