Saturday 2 October 2010

My Patchwork Quilt a labour of love






Well here is my labour of love! It took me a year to sew by hand. I would go home every night after work and sew for 2-3 hours! I originally found the fabrics at a giant car boot for £1. They are actually upholstery fabrics. A couple who own a company had some off cuts! The batting (or inside-middle) is courtesy of a friend I had when I was working at a prop design company. The back material is also from her! So all in all it only cost me about £1. All the threads were inherited from my great Aunt who was a furrier when I was 13 (a million years ago) I still use all her threads, pins, needles and her scissors!

2 comments:

  1. You must be pretty pleased with this - it looks amazing! So upholstery fabrics can be used for patchwork as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am that is for sure! I'm very proud of myself for even finishing it considering I hadn't done patch working before I embarked on it! Yes you can use them as long as they aren't too thick! Tricky to get the needle through if the weave is thick! Maybe you could use thicker with a good strong sewing machine. Always worth considering as they are hard wearing especially for bags!

    ReplyDelete