Sunday 6 June 2010

Little pieces of beauty






Well one of my passions are vintage quilts. To be honest I think it is the fact that in one object I have all the elements that I am passionate about. Textile, print, design and crafting... I have a few of them and love makeing them as well. Here is the beginnings of another quilt made from various old quilt pieces that I have recently sourced.

A while ago I stumbled upon a women who sells cut up pieces of Vintage Durham quilts, with BEAUTIFUL prints as well as colours. These lend themselves amazingly well to the idea I had of making a patchwork quilt of these mixed cut up pieces. So as you can see I have started to work these together. I have been working on them for about a month. Luckily, they are already cut and quilted and small enough to carry them anywhere. So far I have worked on them on the tube, the overground train, the bus, at lunchtime at my desk as well as on a bench, (whilst trying to eat my lunch), in front of the telly and sitting on the seafront! I had to smile to myself when I was sitting on the bench in the HOT sunshine making a Winter quilt …….

I tend to do small sections and then I will sew them together to complete the quilt. It shouldn’t take super long as the pieces are already cut and quilted….. the last one I made took a year….....That I also made by hand like this......I will just have to make sure that I don't spend too much time eating my bagel at lunchtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment