Wednesday 2 February 2011

Cottage Crafts by Barbara Ireson 1975

BOOK OF THE WEEK...

I have decided to follow in the footsteps of others out there who love their craft and fashion books, new and especially old.... Over the years I have collected quite a few I can tell you... the oldest book from about 1911 (although of course there are loads of magazines from earlier I have some from 1870s I will have to fish them out) ... This one is still available it seems and really a great find for those of you out there who remember making dolly peg dolls, or running around with a broom and a fashioned horses head made out of old socks holding onto them for dear life, or using old thread spools to make little scarves, making pomanders, dried flowers, and different cleaning tips - furs, marcasite jewellery ( did you know you shouldn't use water?!) using egg to clean leather! the list goes on..... .... Ms Ireson shows a selection of crafts that need only a few tools and she decided to omit any craft that needed special equipment... ! I smiled as she wrote that some of the items 'need only a few minutes to make; some a few hours; some the evenigs of many weeks'

I found that it is available on Amazon! click!

A charming read.....









There are lovely illustrations by M.J. Mott.


2 comments:

  1. You would love my set of Golden Hands Encyclopedia of Crafts partwork magazines from the 70's that I was given last year. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh they sound very interesting!! I bet the pictures are cool! Those lovely 70s pictures and poses!x

    ReplyDelete