Tuesday 6 July 2010

La Corbeille de Mariage






La Corbeille de Mariage ......I have always wondered what that meant on the side of this page. I thought come on gal do a bit of research. Well apparently this is a French expression meaning a basket of wedding presents. Of course I knew it was French but all I could see was that it was obviously something to do with marriage! I have read that it was customary up until the nineteenth century for a soon to be husband to give his soon to be wife presents in a wicker basket. Everything from clothes to jewels to little glass containers for her ‘bits and pieces’. Although, in the picture you can see a chest! I also read that Napoleon gave his wife a 'chest' which is what looks to be on this scene. This is a beautiful pull out from a French magazine from Paris. I found it in a Brussels flea market...

No comments:

Post a Comment