Friday 2 July 2010

French Quilt




A while ago I won a French quilt on ebay. I was very exited as it was made approximately 80 years ago! Unfortunately, when I received I realised that it has been washed and the wool that had been used as the batting (central stuffing) had shrunk! The wool was all matted up and because of this it was just not usable. Luckily, the seller and I worked out an agreement and she let me keep the quilt. I decided to see if I could remake and save it. Of course this all happened before Liisa suggested that I start a blog, because of this I do not have a before picture but as you can see I have taken the quilt apart and taken out the wool. I can tell you that it took an absolute age to un pick it! BUT now it is time to finally storm ahead and start to finish it. I’ll be doing it by hand as I am at present without a sewing machine! Here goes…………

But you know that one of the best things about meeting up with like minded people is that you can talk and brain storm together and make suggestions about how to make the best of what you have. Of course we don't always take each others advice but it sure is fun talking about it. It was decided that after a bit of brainstorming that perhaps I shouldn't use all the fabric for both sides and that I could use the other part for something else! Very good idea! But that mean't that I would have to find a fabric that would look compliament the little scenes !

Well, the update on the quilt is that I found in my stash of textiles this lovely 30's fabric. I think it makes a great backing for the 1920's French quilt that I had to take apart! I've pinned it and am ready to go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment